Professional cleanings (dental prophylaxis) performed by Dr. Wokuluk form the foundation for preventing gum disease, gingivitis and tooth decay. In a professional cleaning Dr. Wokuluk will:
• Remove plaque: Plaque is a sticky substance that can lead to deposition of calculus and cavities resulting in tooth decay and gum problems.
• Remove Calculus: Calculus (tartar) is hardened plaque on the tooth that develops over a period of time in the absence of proper oral care. It can also lead to gum disease if it deposits below the gum line.
• Remove stains: Dental stains and discoloration are caused by both extrinsic and intrinsic factors. Excessive use of beverages like tea, coffee, wine and tobacco stains from cigarettes, cigars, pipes, and chewing tobacco are good examples of extrinsic factors. Intrinsic factors such as tartar and plaque also share in tarnishing your lovely set of teeth. Our professional dental help ensures your teeth become bright, white and healthy after the cleaning session
• Polish: The final step in a professional cleaning is the polishing of the teeth. This leaves the surfaces of the teeth clean and smooth so that bacteria are unable to stick to them.
- For more detailed information click on Preventive Dentistry under Services on this page.